Pages

Thursday, April 30, 2015

Our second big outing

We picked up our new 25 foot Flying Cloud in April and one week later went off to Borego Springs.  I wasn't sure how challenged I would feel pulling a bigger airstream and through some narrow windy roads.  Our hostess was kind enough to research some alternate routes instead of the scary (to me) mountain pass.  She fortunately remembered her early trailering days and knew I might be skittish.

I found the best linen baskets to hold onto our dishes and tuck away up in the over sink storage.  They came from Home goods and the first store had one set so I traipsed off to the second store across town and found the same set, enough for all my nooks and crannies to contain our various bits that we travel with.


Here is view of the desert sky.  Days were definitely hotter then I would like but I can see a return trip sometime in February or early March.



Our new shiny airstream with a desert backdrop.



The desert was beautiful and hot, very hot.  A morning walk took us halfway to our destination when we both fortunately were wise enough to not tough it out and decided on turning back.  It was also the first time Maya ever got lost.  She has always been a 'need to be close to her people' dog and has never wandered.   We suspect that when Mark went back to the rig to retrieve something, she left looking for me and got disoriented.  This is so not like her but at 12 I guess we need to be more diligent about keeping track of her.   Her reflexes, sight, hearing and most likely sense of smell are all somewhat diminished.  Luckily someone spotted her and put her on a leash and walked the park until a neighbor of ours recognized her and we were reunited.  This could have been tragic if not for that kind soul, as coyotes are prevalent and the desert was very hot.

What I most loved about our stay was the desert sky and the wind.  I am a fan of wind, it always makes me feel so alive.  It was a warm but relentless wind, probably around 20 knots.  I had forgotten the beauty of the stars at night with that level of darkness.

We are currently in Santa Cruz and I'll tell you more about that trip in the next post.

No comments:

Post a Comment