Pages

Sunday, June 24, 2018

International airstream rally - Salem Oregon

We arrived!

We left Jackson Rancheria Wednesday morning headed for Red Bluff California and the Durango RV park.  Large beautiful sites some with a river view.  It was pretty and peaceful. We elected to stay hitched and eat in.  I did a bit of beading and generally relaxed.

The Sacramento river had a huge current and the  sound of water was soothing.






We got a mid morning start and arrived at the KOA Grants Pass where we pot lucked with the other caravan members.  It seemed my potluck skills which are minimal at best were severely challenged.  I decided on salmon salad since I had lots of it in the freezer.  Capers were a flavor ingredient, but were nowhere to be found.  A quick check suggested fresh dill....nope, no fresh dill either.  Also suggested was mixing plain yogurt with mayonnaise which sounded like a good idea so I scoured for plain yogurt which is not an easy find these days, but I found one or so I thought.  Mixed up the dressing and decided to taste before mixing it with a 1lb or more of salmon.  Thank goodness, it was awful.  The container revealed the reason, I had gotten vanilla by accident.  Fortunately I had enough ingredients to remake with without yogurt and in the end it was nice dish, but potlucks stress me out! I am no culinary queen for sure.

Our next days travel was to arranged for meeting in a Walmart parking lot near to the fairgrounds where the event was being held. I can say it makes quite a scene when 20 or so airstreams are parked in a Walmart parking lot. We all arrived at various times and then at our scheduled time we caravanned over to the 'bullpen' where you wait to be parked.  It's quite the organizational feat for them to park over 700 trailers and arrange water and electricity for most of them.

I am a fan of the airstream 'on the road' photos and wanted one of our airstream so I enlisted any members of the caravan who happened to be behind us to take some.  A huge thanks to Ruth and Paul who obliged us with some great photos!




This is the arrival at the bullpen, we're on the right. We are definitely in the minority pulling with an SUV but it works for us.






The official  opening ceremony is tonight and then there will be lots of different seminars and programs.  Mostly though I am eating well, visiting with friends, beading and knitting.  There is one building dedicated to hanging to and doing needlework which I will visit and there are some art classes offered on various days.  I think I will sign up for Tuesday Raku class.


1 comment:

  1. U R me with the potlucks! I am potluck challenged; OTOH, eating everyone else's contribution is marvelous. PS I did the same thing with the "plain" yogurt to use as a starter to do my own. Yuck!

    ReplyDelete