Pages

Monday, June 25, 2018

Day three of Salem International

What a difference a day makes....Yesterday was a high of 88 with no clouds and that is HOT.  With 700 trailers many sitting on blacktop this little temporary city was pretty steamy yesterday forcing many to their interiors with air conditioning running.

I don't really like to be crazy hot and the angle of the sun meant even under our awning we couldn't escape the sun.

We had a nice simple dinner and wandered off to the opening ceremony.  Two hours later we exited to a wild wind storm, very cool temps and then some night time rain, waking up to a nice cool 68 to 70 degree day.  The sun is intermittent so I can't decide from one minute to the next if I'm hot or cold.

I'm a nester so the minute we arrive anywhere I immediately create my surroundings  I travel with two of my collection of Stuart Abelman blown glass solar lights.  A quick trip to Fred Meyers provided the plant to secure them and each night I'm treated to a light show of changing colors.


I also borrowed an idea from a neighbor and created a side panel to the awning which adds privacy, creates some shade and lends more of a room like feeling to my temporary 'veranda'  Here I've tied it back with my Kinga Nichols design flamingos that I beaded.  I mean you gotta have flamingos right?


It's the perfect day for beading and knitting and I've been doing plenty of both.  I somehow lost my mind and didn't travel with enough bead thread (I use 6 lb smoke fireline that is used for fishing but the nearest Cabela's 32 miles away didn't have any in stock).  Through the miracle of modern technology and the wonderful organizational skills of the WBCCI I was able to order it from Amazon and have it delivered to the mail service on site.




My immediate neighbor in our temporary village here is also a beader.  She's done a lot of crochet and stringing while I do mostly bead weaving.  We've had a delightful time sharing the love of beads and tomorrow night we'll head off to join the Portland bead societies meeting.


Here's a photo out my door which gives you an idea just how close the quarters are here!





1 comment:

  1. I am loving reading all your stories and thoughts. Great idea with the temporary sun shade. We have a bamboo blind, about 6 feet long that I Velcro to the awning support bars.

    ReplyDelete